10 Jul 2022
Lettings Legislation Update: Carbon Monoxide Alarms to become mandatory by 1st October 2022
If you are a landlord or are considering renting your property, then as of 1st October 2022 a new UK Government Carbon Monoxide Legislation will come into effect for all rental properties with a gas supply.
What is mandatorily required of landlords in the Carbon Monoxide Legislation?
- Carbon monoxide alarms will be mandatory in all rooms with a fixed combustion appliance i.e. boiler, gas fires, open fires, and log burners (excluding gas cookers & hobs) in both private and social rented homes
- Carbon monoxide alarms will also be mandatory upon installation of any heating appliance (excluding gas cookers) in all tenures through building regulations.
- Private and social landlords will be expected to repair or replace alarms once informed that they are faulty
- All devices need to be fitted (not just delivered) by 1st October 2022, as landlords are at risk of being fined for breaching the rules as soon as they come into force
How to comply with the new Carbon Monoxide Legislation?
- To ensure legal compliance, do follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions.
- Unfitted carbon monoxide devices, from the 1st October 2022 onwards, will not comply with legislation.
How can Miles & Barr make your property compliant?
Working with a trusted contractor, Miles & Barr will:
- Visit a property with a gas supply to understand if there are carbon monoxide detectors in place. If carbon monoxide detectors need to be fitted, then an alarm will be added to each room that requires one (e.g. open fires, log burners, boiler, etc)
- Any current carbon monoxide detectors will be checked & recorded for the expiry date
- All smoke alarms will be re-checked & recorded for their expiry date
- The devices installed will be valid for 10 years with sealed battery units
If a Miles & Barr tenant reports a faulty device, Miles & Barr will replace it swiftly.
Do note that all open/log fires or solid burning fuel appliances have required carbon monoxide alarms since 2015. If these are missing or are out of date, then they will also need to be replaced.
Speak to Miles & Barr Lettings to start the process of making sure your rental property is compliant ahead of the new Carbon Monoxide Legislation coming into force. Call: 01843 572000