Conveyancing FAQ's


1 How much is it going to cost?

You will be told by the law firm what your charges are going to be before you instruct them and you’ll be given a schedule of the costs. It’s important to remember pricing shouldn’t be the main factor when deciding on your chosen firm. Choosing a good solicitor is more important than choosing the cheapest solicitor when handling something as important as a property transaction.

2 How long is it going to take?

There is no way of accurately saying how long the conveyancing process is going to take as it is different for each property. It can depend on how quickly all the documents come back and how many people there are in the chain.

3 What if there are any problems?

During your case you will have the ability to speak with our dedicated sales progressors as well as the solicitor/conveyancer handling your case. This helps to keep you updated with what needs to happen to resolve any issues that could potentially arise and if you are to expect any delays.

4 What happens if my purchase or sale falls through?

If you are using our recommended solicitor and your sale or purchase falls through you will not be required to pay the solicitor’s legal fee and we would endeavour to find you an alternative new buyer or property as soon as possible.

5 What if I change my mind about moving home?

It’s important to remember that you are not legally bound to buy or sell until contracts have been exchanged. You would not be required to pay a legal fee due to our no sale, no fee offer when using our recommended solicitor.

6 What do I need to provide?

When buying a property you will be required to provide the law firm with suitable identification. Your local office will be able to assist with anything you are unsure of. You will need to pay for the search fees once you instruct the law firm to ensure the process is as smooth as possible.

When selling a property identification is required, which again your local office will be able to assist you with, our in office financial advisors can certify them for you if necessary. It is recommended you supply any paperwork belonging to the property too, such as local authority correspondence, planning permissions/consents and guarantees for anything you are not taking with you, like double glazed windows.

If you are in possession of the title deeds these should also be provided but nearly all properties are registered at the Land Registry, meaning ownership details are available electronically.

7 Who is going to help with my conveyancing?

Our recommended firm have a high-quality reputation and you will be taken care of by property specialist lawyers. We have dedicated sales progressors and experienced members of staff in all of our offices who will be on hand to keep you updated and help you throughout the entire process. This ensures your stress is minimal and that you will always have someone on hand to speak with.

8 What differences do I need to know between a freehold and a leasehold property?

A freehold property is owned outright by you. With a leasehold property you are granted part or all of a building for a certain length of time, commonly 99 years. You will be required to pay the ground rent to a landlord with a leasehold. There are often obligations when living in a leasehold property, such as paying for maintenance of areas used in proximity of your home like car parks.

9 Contents form; Fixtures and Fittings

When selling a property you will be required to fill out a fixtures and fittings form detailing what will remain in or as part of the property sale transaction. This can be anything from; carpets, curtains, light fittings and such that you have agreed to include or will be leaving at the property.

The purchaser will have the opportunity to check the fixtures and fittings form and this document forms part of the contractual agreement.